View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Throttle

Throttle is on a distinguished road
Re: looking for a MUD true to D&D rules, classes, with RP enforced or encouraged...

TorilMUD is really good. It's the only one where I've been able to find the true D&D experience; there are probably other muds out there which can accomplish that, but this one has a reasonable playerbase to boot.

I won't lie, Toril is beyond its glory days. Some five years ago you'd find over 200 players online during peak hours, and now it's closer to 50, which is still playable but leaves something to be desired from a mud where certain raid zones can require 10-20 or more max-level players in a group.

It's not 100% D&D, of course. There's a level system that goes from 1-50, with such things as spell circles spread out to mimic the progression you'd get in a typical lvl1-20 (A)D&D ruleset. Many of the spells are similar or identical to what you'll remember from the pen & paper game, classes function in much the same way, and there are a lot of other similarities. The game world is even set in the Forgotten Realms setting, something that almost all D&Ders can relate to.

TorilMUD is currently going through the preparations for a major code overhaul that will take the game from a system similar to AD&D to something more like D&D3rd. I don't know much about the progress because I've never been a steady full-time player there, but I know there's staff working actively on the project.

Roleplaying is encouraged. There's a roleplaying flag that you can activate to show that you're willing to RP, there's staff dedicated to settup up RP quests and such, and the environment is written in a way that it does facilitate roleplay much, much better than your average hack'n'slash mud. The game environment is not a roleplaying environment, though. Few players actively roleplay, those who do choose to do so only some of the time, and there are a lot of things lacking in order to turn the mud into an actual roleplaying mud. As I've always said, if you're looking for the true online roleplaying experience, your only honest option is one of the RPIMUDs (Armageddon, Shadows of Isildur, Harshlands etc - try ). Unfortunately I don't think there are any RPIs with a code that resembles D&D in any way, so you're probably out of luck if you want to combine D&D and serious roleplaying.
Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote