View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
AirheadGaming

AirheadGaming is on a distinguished road
custom clients. Good or bad?

Greetings everyone! I have spent the last 4 years working on a Mud engine, before scrapping it and starting over fresh. I wrote the new version of the engine in C# with .NET 3.5, and I am currently in the process of finalizing a Gui based tool kit for designing the Mud project. The only thing that concerns me is my lack of knowledge when it comes to telnet and networking. I had planned on writing my own server code, and the server would sit on a couple Windows based servers (or linux when the project port to Mono is completed) and then write a custom client that users will download and use to connect to the server. I thought a custom client would be good, as I can share most of the code between .Net, .Net compact Framework, and Mono, but I suppose cross platform could be easily achieved with a telnet client or PHP based client.

What do you guys think? The goal is to have a version of the engine running on windows & linux, with client support on windows, linux, Mac OSX, Windows Mobile & PalmOS. What are the pro's and cons for running a custom client? If telnet is the best solution, where should I go for documentation on it? I don't know anything about coding telnet.

Thanks in advance!

Johnathon
Airhead Gaming
AirheadGaming is offline   Reply With Quote