View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #37
shasarak

shasarak is on a distinguished road
Re: Triggers, scripts, and bots

How about "should we be designing game rulesets to cater primarily for a psychologically damaged minority which cannot think clearly?"
While I understand that many players want to compete with their fellow players, it still seems irrational to me to single out 'botting as anti-competitive.

Consider, for example, someone who plays the MUD for more hours a day than you do. You cannot compete with him on an equal footing, and the more time passes, the larger the gap between you will become. If the argument against 'botting is that players feel they are unable to compete against players who 'bot and will never be able to catch up with them, shouldn't we be equally concerned about players who play a large number of hours a day, given that the pressures they exert on insecure "competitive" players are just as profound? And yet, I don't see anyone suggesting that we have a hard-coded limit on the number of hours a day a person can play. What's the difference? Why is 'botting "cheating" but "playing a lot" isn't, when the impact it has on other players is identical?

Last edited by shasarak : 07-28-2008 at 07:05 AM.
shasarak is offline   Reply With Quote