View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #17
Dragonserafan

Name: Alera Quinn
Home MUD: Dragon's Era
Dragonserafan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dragonserafan
Re: Male and Female Players: Are the experiences different?

I'll admit i'll have to check the others posts but I wanted to respond to this. Been an online gamer since 96 and as a female I have tended to notice differences in how gaming is compared to how it is for my husband. Ive noticed in some games im either pandered to, handed things or treated as if I have to be hand held threw difficult quests (prevalent in mmos especially). Or that I generally need protecting. Only to suprize men when I create strong characters due to knowing game mechanics. I like to get the best out of a game I play specially when its stradegy. I want my castle or fortress not only to bring in funds, be strong enough to repel enemy, but to be a source of envy to those I allow to visit. I like frivolous things as decorating and shopping for good gear. But it does not stop me from wanting to have the best evade, hard hitting dps or the ability to cast spells that penetrate my enemies defense.

I think there are plenty of women and girl gamers out there that are in this medium. Yes we like roleplay and immersion, but we also know how to kick a butt or two.

In fact the only bad side to being a female in game for me is the initial attention I get which as a shy individual always puts me off. But once guys find out im happily married they tend to back away. As for advantages, I think for a woman who may not get attention in the outside world gaming is another way for them to get said attention and as long as they do not become trouble makers thats fine to. Ive seen it all though ive seen girls who will not even bother really playing their characters letting their online male friends do most of the work. Some who like to start fights between other players then run to higher levels and cause drama. I guess thats another reason it can be hard on female gamers, women like that are tended to be considered the norm in some games so when female who isnt about that comes about it can be hard proving to people your not about that stuff.

All in all though my online gaming experience in muds and the like has been good. Ive seen bad things but ive seen good and it makes me want to continue gaming.
Dragonserafan is offline   Reply With Quote