View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: What do you do while you play a MUD?

Yes, quite a few have that. Both of our muds do, and I think they add a lot of fun. There's solo mini-games and there are interactive mini-games. You see that a lot in the big graphical games, also, but since those are so fast-paced already, few people engage in them.

In Darkwind, ones of the mini-games was enough fun that I just played it with friends instead of leveling. I think mini-games gets left out of a lot of game design nowadays. A mini-game doesn't have to be anything super complicated, and people forget that "mini-games" are more of a concept than a true game. For example, simply being able to collect pipes and tobacco that your character can smoke in game is a mini-game of sorts even if people might not consider it a true game. I know that a lot of my MUD buddies enjoy this aspect that can be found in several games.

Anyway, well-designed mini-games don't even show up as games in the traditional sense a lot of times. They are fun things for players to do inside the game itself that requires little effort but provides entertainment.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote