View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello everyone, looking for a good MUD

Hi,
The thing is, most muds have "spear" skills; that is, a weapon named spear. I've played many, however, and very few actually differentiate among weapons. In most, a spear is just another name for a sword; it might have more damage output and be slower, perhaps. That said, the requirement you've stated leaves this very, very wide open. By which I mean, just about any fantasy mud based off diku/rom, or any fantasy mud, for that matter.

So, a few reccomendations. Godwars 2 is probably the way to go if you want ranged combat; it's full pk, and uses a fighting game-like combat system. If you've played muds before, you have to throw everything you know out the window, and I do mean everything.

Another that has good pk, sometimes, is lost souls; this mud makes godwars 2 look like kindergarten, but pk doesn't happen that often. It is unbelieveably hard (think nethack hard), and death is actually far from the worst thing that can happen to you. O, and did I mention this is hard?
That said, lost souls does have a lot of cool features, like the erision liberation front, and there is the brute squad which everyone calls the "easy mode". For uniqueness, lost souls takes the cake, here.

Another option is the old godwars codebase-based muds; there's a few that are really active, still, such as moments of hatred. Again, this doesn't differentiate between spear as anything special (I'm not even sure it had one to be honest), but it does have brilliant pk.

Finally, just a couple more names to look up: Project Bob (no pk, but differentiates nicely between weapons with a wide variety of playstyles and diablo-like loot), Dark Legacy (no longer being developed/supported, but you're not going to beat it for crafting-related stuff anywhere), and batmud (wide variety of guilds, huge playerbase: upwards of 200 often).

If you give us more information, we can probably be more specific; your best bet from what's given is perhaps to go find a role-play intensive mud (rpi), where you can pretend to be whoever you want to be; I don't personally like these, but that's mainly for lack of rp skill. They, again, don't generally tend to differentiate a spear as something different from a sword or dagger, but you at least have the option to pretend that they do in-character without being thought odd. Mind you, this is just a way out there idea, as spear fighting wouldn't, or so I think, change your personality or conversations much.

In short, more information would help.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote