Old 12-31-2005, 05:26 AM   #81
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye

You're being defensive, and understandably so, because I have attacked your indirect attitude. However, you are also both hypocritical and wrong in your choices of nouns used to describe me. I have stated in this thread, several times, that some large MUDs are capable of not compromising certain valuable things to remain popular. See below; I have been on staff of some such MUDs. I do not, and could not reasonably claim otherwise. Therefor, your statement is, simply put, wrong. Re-read some of my posts if you want.

In addition to that, I could not even gather information on Threshhold's playerbase size because I was told that there is no "in-game command" to see howmany players are logged on at one time by your staff, during the application section of the game. Therefor, I am not directly targetting your MUD, I have next-to-no experience with it. The only thing I criticized, perhaps, was your indirect cold-shoulder to smaller MUDs.

Speaking from personal experience, however, I've been high-level staff on two MUDs which reached peaks of over 200 players. Both were very unique and very enjoyable games - on neither did I ever question whether their concerns were more with mass popularity than quality. I did advertising for both of these MUDs, and I have a very good grasp on what it takes to make it work.

I simply do not think that having a large playerbase necessarily makes one MUD better than another - and I bet that the vast majority of MUDers would not base its "success" merely off of its size/popularity. Trying to say that I'm an immature communist, just because I don't value gaming success by immediate commercial means, is just sort of silly. We're talking about a genre of free, indepth text-based online rpgs here - we can leave behind the western mentality that we deal with every day in real life long enough to try to take the genre as far as it can possibly go ... and if that exploration's not for you, at least give a nod of respect to the ones that it is for.

The amount of traffic some smaller MUDs can give you and/or this website is insignificant when compared to the amount of good, creative ideas/inspiration some of the more commercial MUDs could gain from these more secret successes. If you were open to that sort of thing, of course.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote