View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
scandum

scandum will become famous soon enough
MSSP (Mud Server Status Protocol)

A couple of weeks ago I posted a RFC on MudBytes regarding the creation of a protocol for Muds to automatically report their info to mud crawlers. Since then a lot has happened. I set up an official protocol specification and created a snippet that adds basic telnet handling for MCCP, MSSP, NAWS, and TTYPE. I also added MSSP support to TinTin++ so it can be used to debug server side MSSP support. So far four Muds (and one codebase) have implemented the protocol, the MudBytes crawler has added support for it and plans to integrate it into their mud directory, and both TMC and TMS have shown interest in adopting the protocol though they'll probably want to see it kick off first.

For a quick look at what MSSP entails see my output.

Feedback and comments are welcome, keep in mind that the protocol only defines a brief set of official variables, Mud listings can maintain a list of additional variables they support. If you implement MSSP and want to be added to the crawler give me a yell.

Links:

Client for debugging:
(Requires using '#config {debug telnet} on' to display MSSP output from a MUD server.)

Codebases supporing MSSP:
(As of version 4.4.0.)

MUD Crawlers supporing MSSP:

Discussion forum for MSSP (on MydBytes)

Server supporting MSSP:
azereth.game-host.org:6400
cruentus.genesismuds.com:7070
home.gotr00t.us:3000
slackhalla.org:4321

MSSP Snippets:
- Handles MCCP, MSSP, NAWS, and TTYPE.
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote