View Single Post
Old 05-18-2002, 01:59 AM   #6
DgateColin

DgateColin is on a distinguished road
To play the Devil's Advocate role a bit, you ask, why not roleplay? And while I can think of a million reasons why I think RP is a wonderful way for us not to only to escape reality as some people need it for, but also for us to find out more about ourselves, our pscyhe and who we really are by looking at things through the shoes of someone else we mighty pretend to be....I think there are some reasons why RP may not be for everyone.

For example, there are players in every game, we all know them, who basically can't escape the false reality that roleplay presents before them, real life becomes a burden or a job and the life outside of the small roleplay created world always stands a distant second. I think this can be very unhealthy for some, especially for those with obsessive or compulsive natures who desperately need to find more face to face socialization to help them find some help and understanding for the problems they may be facing.

I also find that too much roleplay can create a dislike for some people of themselves, they begin to envision the ideal as the character they roleplay, and themselves simply nothing more than a single figure who can be defined no more than as a grey person.

I think a good reason not to RP would be if you're a person in one of these situations, if you easily get overly obsessed or completely taken over by something such that it rules your life. You start skipping/work school to RP, you let it effect more important real life relationships, you burn your pop tart in the toaster cause you don't want to miss any RP, etc.

Thoughts? Other ways RP can be bad?
Colin J.
Co-Lead GM
Dragon's Gate Staff
DgateColin is offline   Reply With Quote