Thread: C for Dumies
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
Lovend

Lovend is on a distinguished road
I have C for Dummies, and it's making sense so far. I've been playing MUD's for 10 years, and understand the mechanics of Coding in Theory (in my head), just haven't learned the language yet. I have a few questions.

1. The book suggests getting Windows C++ Compiler, but it retails for 109 dollars. There is a couple of other ones for less, but can I download a C compiler somewhere online that doesn't have all the bells and whistles? I just wanna pratice for now.

2. For someone with zero coding experience, but has lots of patience and that has an idea of how it all works, how long do you think it'll be before I can code more advanced formulas such as combat systems, and quest systems? Heck, how long before I'll even be able to just code rooms and classes etc?

3. Are there more advanced guides tailored specifically for creating in MUDs, that help you get what you want?

4. Deciding I want original class, leveling, quest, trade, and combat systems, does that basically say I'd have to write my own MUD Source code, or can other MUD engines be ripped apart safely, and remade into what I want?

I'd love any feedback you have for me, and thank you in advance.

Love
Lovend is offline   Reply With Quote