View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Unwritten Legends: Searching for Player Testers.

Maybe I'm being a little bit hard on the mud for a technicality, but I have a few principles when it comes to the online games I play. Online games should be inviting and easy to get into, especially if they want to attract players. Online games should be transparent and honest with the players they're trying to attract; Don't tell me I'm applying to be a tester when the application I'm presented with is really just to prevent cheating. And don't tell me all of this information is required of me and that players can't get in any other way, then fail to enforce any of that.

I have no beef with Unwritten Legends in particular. I'd gripe about this situation with any mud. There are a lot of things on the website that make the game sound interesting (which makes the stupidity in the above paragraph even more frustrating). It's just horrificly bad policy to advertise for new players, then greet these new players with a lengthy application, make them feel scrutinized and unwelcome by telling them that some of the most commony used e-mail domains aren't acceptable (even if they wholly fail to enforce this), and claim that the mud is still in testing (thus allegedly not fully ready for serious playing), all as part of an obviously deceptive system in which the so-called tester application is used to police cheating via multiple accounts and has nothing to do with testing any part of the game. Then not even use the application information for that purpose, because the whole process is just there as a deterrent for cheating with no intention of actually enforcing it. Well, the stupid process deterred a few real players instead.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote