View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 05:43 AM   #8
Emil

Emil is on a distinguished road
Quote KaVir
I doubt that is what he meant, but that is yet another story.

It _is_ however what I meant myself.

What I am after is a system that makes it easier for the 'normal' voter, who doesn't rely on a script reminding them when to vote. A system that is based on the dedication of the _players_ rather than the Mudowners. This would not only give a fairer outcome, it would also increase the traffic to the site, resulting in a win-win situation.

As most administrators know, it is hard enough to make the average players remember to vote, no matter how dedicated they are, unless you hassle them constantly, or provide them with elaborate tools like the 'Ivoted' script, which most of the games among the top 10 probably are utilising.

As it is, I only vote once a day myself, because I don't really fancy keeping track of a time frame that is moving about 5 minutes or more forwards each time I click the vote button.

I would probably vote twice a day, if I could do so at reasonably fixed times, knowing that my vote would really count and not be discarded because I missed the 'voting window' with a couple of minutes. And, as KaVir pointed out, not even the most dedicated players would get up in the middle of the night just to vote.

So I am asking again, (and note that I am asking Synozeer, not the_logos, since as far as I know, Synozeer is still running this site). These are questions that I believe are important to most mudowners listed on this site. Not all of them may care about the ranking list, but the ones that do would most likely appreciate a response:

1. How does the current system work?

1A. Is it 'once per 12 hours exactly', (meaning that the voting window moves forward with each click of the button)?
1B. Or is it 'once per approximately 12 hours period', (meaning that there is about 30 minutes extra frame in each direction)?

2. What happens if you miss the frame, or even click the vote button twice by mistake?

2A. Does the 'extra' vote just get discarded
2B. Do all votes from the same ip get discarded?
2C. Does the 'extra' vote start a new 12 hours period, or is the time still counted from the last 'valid' vote?

3. If the answer to the first question is 1A, could the time frame please get changed to 11 hours instead of 12, since that would make voting easier for all of us?
Emil is offline   Reply With Quote