View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #35
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: The "Health," of Muds

I don't think you'll ever find a consensus, as some people have been announcing the death of text muds for the last two decades, while others continue to start up new muds all the time. But I have made a couple of observations.

The main difference between a text mud and a graphical MMO lies in the client - text muds are usually designed to work with any client, while the MMOs have their own which provides graphics and sound. But it is becoming increasingly popular for muds to offer their players custom/ised clients with graphical interfaces, and several client developers have been introducing ways to make this easier for mud owners to achieve. I think we're going to see this trend continue, with some muds edging their way into the fringes of the MMO and browser-game markets.

Conversely, there also seems to be an increasing number of visually impaired players drifting towards text muds - either fully or partially blind, these players enjoy gaming as much as anyone else, but can't really play the graphical MMOs. Introducing a few blind-friendly features results in your mud name being thrown around in their community: currently around .
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote