View Single Post
Old 05-28-2005, 02:53 PM   #17
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Heh, of course all of us who play RPIs are "eliteist (sic) snobs" because just as most MUDs will penalize PCs for looting someone else's corpse or interfering with a kill or stealing exp by killing a mob someone else was engaging, we too want our RP free of interference. *eyeroll*

No, you don't have to have special code to RP, but if you want total immersion, code that doesn't contain glaring signs of non-RP MUDs is a pleasant feature. Additionally, RPIs tend to hide their technical aspects (hit points, etc.) so that they're incorporated and displayed in a manner that is consistent with the setting, not with a game.

And as for OOC references, I and many other RPers DO NOT want to hear about the weather somewhere else (or for that matter where I'm at, if I want to know about the weather, I'll turn on the TV). Joe Bob breaking in to tell us about the weather or how he finally passed the third grade just shy of his sixteenth birthday is just as disruptive to RP as someone coming into the tavern you're in and killing the bartender for his tips.

As for "...upping the level of rp if the majority of players are open to the experience" that's all well and fine, but a majority is by definition only one more than half. While that's no indication that a bare majority will cooperate, all it takes is one to ruin the experience and the mood of the RP. The total immersion and the freedom from non-RPers is why I and many play RPIs. It's not elitism nor are we snobs. We want RP and we choose MUDs that concentrate on RP and RP only.

RPIs may not be for you. They're not for a lot of people. That's not meant to be elitist and no one's excluding people from playing them to RP. In fact, most RPIs are very welcoming to new RPers, though the learning curve is steep. But if they're not looking to RP, there's really no reason for them to be there and H&S actions won't be looked any nicer upon than violations of the rules on any other MUD.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote