View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #10
misao

misao is on a distinguished road
Re: Muds only appeal to certain types of people.

I do agree that it takes someone who -enjoys- reading and writing to MUD. If someone enjoys games but not reading and writing, there are thousands of graphics-based games that he would probably enjoy better.

I live in a Southeast Asian country; one that is famed for having an average of 2 books read (not including those that you have to read for school/work) per EDUCATED person per year. And in all my life, I have never come across anyone in my country who enjoys MUDding. I did know a countryman who enjoyed MUDding back in his teens (the early 90s), but that was more due to necessity, because he loves games and graphical MMORPGs weren't even invented back then.

Pretty much the only advantage MUDs have over their graphic-based counterparts, IMHO, is the ability to weave your own story, to create a character with the rich history and life and characteristics that YOU want. No graphic-based 'RPGs' afford that sort of flexibility and richness of detail.

To even enjoy that advantage, however, you absolutely have to be the kind of person who would love a good read, especially of the fantasy fiction genre.
misao is offline   Reply With Quote