View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #27
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Finding a Place to Call Home: Communities Tolerant & Accepting of Gay Gamers

Yeah, they suck it up by going elsewhere. That's the whole point. Why be a part of a gaming community with that kind of loathsome behavior. It is unpleasant and it isn't enjoyable.

And simple slurs being spewed is just the tiny tip of the iceberg. Other posters here have explained other facets of it, like not being able to participate in the OOC side of a community, or being ridiculed when you do, or having to hide facts about yourself because if you don't you'll get mocked or abused.

If I was playing an online RPG and common discourse of the community was that white men were the source of all evil in the world, enslaved people, abused/raped women commonly, were all racists and sexists, etc., I'd leave. It wouldn't matter that I'm not physically or emotionally harmed by their language and don't agree with any of it. Its just not enjoyable to deal with that crap constantly, and I wouldn't want to feel like I had to pretend not to be a white male. I'd rather just leave and go somewhere else where I didn't hide who or what I was to avoid abuse.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote