View Single Post
Old 07-09-2004, 08:48 AM   #24
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
It's not always that simple, Jazuela - it really depends on the individual situation, and what the arrangement was between the admin and the builder/coder.  In most cases, where the coder or builder has obviously created their work for the purposes of contributing towards the mud, then (as I said before) the mud owner would have good grounds for claiming an implied licence.

But in other cases it's not so clear.  What if the builder had only created the area on the test port?  What if they had emailed it to the mud staff to see if the mud owner was interested in negotiating for its usage?  What if the code that was used was something the coder had been developing in a separate directory, which just happened to be done via the same shell account?

If I were to offer you hosting space, and you agreed, would that give me permission to use your source code to create my own mud, just because you'd uploaded it to my property?  Does my ISP have permission to copy any of my work that I place on my website, on the basis that they own the hosting space?  Note that in both cases there would be very good grounds for claiming an implied licence to copy for the purposes of backups - but no more.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote