View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #45
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: FYI Mudconnector forums shut down

I agree that it is sad when such a significant and positive element of the MUD community is in danger of ceasing to exist.

I disagree, however, that has been the main hub of the Mud world for the last 5+ years. I think TopMudSites took over that role some time ago and has maintained it.

has by far the best forums and the best collection of active, experienced mud admins and game developers. Many if not most of the maintainers of the major MUD clients are active here either posting, reading, or both. Last but not least, it has a great group of players from a wide variety of types of MUDs.

The last few times there have been important issues threatening the MUD community, by far the best place to learn about and discuss those threats was right here. Wikipedia admins came HERE to discuss them, for example.

I salute TMC and the huge role it played in the history of MUDs, but honestly, it fell into disrepair many years ago. The forums have been an absolute abomination for a long, long time. You have to wonder about the motives of anyone willing to tolerate both the cumbersome forum software and the huge troll segment of the population there.

I don't know how Icculus tolerated that heavy troll population. Strangely, some of the same people who are utterly horrible on the TMC forums behave themselves much better here and on other sites. Its almost like even the members of the TMC forum community acknowledged decided as a group to treat TMC like 4chan and just ruin it for everyone else. Fortunately, there are great alternatives (TopMudSites) for people who want to have worthwhile discussions about MUDs.

That is the way of things. Just like TMC supplanted Doran's Mudlist, so too has TopMudSites supplanted TMC.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote