View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002, 02:29 PM   #14
Sapphar

Ummm.. *blink* not to be blunt, but what you just said is one of my pet peeves with RP. The idea that certain personality traits belong with certain types of characters. I have a nice, prudish character who is not noble, not good, not kind, not sweet, and is considered evil by some of the other characters who know her. But she’ll blush, be shy, and get out of any situation that is flirtatious or physically suggestive.

“Good” characters can have - tempers, foul language, a liking for flirtation, attitude, selfish traits or moments, etc. They can be - controlling, aggressive, dominate, sexy, vengeful, etc.
“Evil” characters can have - shy tendencies, quiet voices, demure dress, polite manners, respect for nobles, etc. They can be - patient, accepting, helpful, talk-a-tive, friendly, engaging, etc.

Characters become two dimensional when you assume certain traits must go with certain overall character types. Personally, I hate the classification of good and evil anyway, as I think most characters have both “good” traits to them and “evil” and it all depends on who is defining good and evil in the first place. But don’t start saying you have to be good to be a prude or evil to “play the field”.

Few quick examples:

A character who seeks to help the weak to become self sufficient. A nice, “good” goal. She could be a flirtatious young woman with a hell of an attitude who pushes head first into any situation once she knows what she’s doing, who holds a grudge if someone hurts another person who is weak, and who loses her temper whenever she sees people being trod upon. She is “good” in intentions, but like anyone else, has behavior traits that could be seen as flaws even when they are always aimed at supporting the weak.

A character who is determined to have as much power, control, and money as possible no matter what the cost to anyone else. A selfish, “evil” character. She could be demure and quiet. She could be incredibly polite to those in positions of power and patient with those who might someday help her. She could be friendly and engaging to get information out of people. She could be shy about talking about herself to prevent folks from learning about who she is. She is selfish and “evil” in intentions, but hides it all through perfect behavior.

Sapphar