View Single Post
Old 08-30-2002, 10:45 AM   #28
Sapphar

I'm glad you brought this point up, Ntanel.  One of the problems I have seen happen on a couple MU**s is a builder either leaving before an area is put in or before an area is completed and the administrators of the mud going ahead with putting the area in.

The builder absolutely should retain the rights to the use of the area up until the area is formally put into the mud.  I know some admin feel they should have total ownership of the area from the moment it is started because it is their money paying for the hosting of the mud, their code being used (sometimes), etc.  However, if I write a novel on a computer borrowed, but not purchased, from another person, the other person does not retain the rights to my novel.

With regards to credit, there is a very unpleasant trend starting on a few ROM based muds to remove credit on the areas list and put "Staff", justification being that they have had mob balancers and editors work on the area.  I have walked into stock areas that were renamed and listed with builders as "Staff."  I have also seen this done with areas that were built for one MU** when the builder has departed.  I think using the most specific language possible as to what credit is, who should get credit, and where credit should be placed is very important.

The concern noted earlier about how any of this matters, as few if any builders will take someone to court over the misuse of their areas is a good thing to mention.  I have never heard a builder worry about having done something they could be sued for (perhaps I don't know the builders out there doing bad stuff though).  However, administrators tend to recognize the risks they assume when running a game, be it from minors cybering, builders issues, or other things.  A builders contract that is constructed with very clear guidelines for the owner of the MU** is going to be adhered to more than one that focuses on the builders guidelines, simply due to admin knowing their responsibilities and taking them more seriously.

Last but not least, a few folks have mentioned the need for a community wide recognized basic contract for builders.  I think this is absolutely vital, though I do not know how it can become something most MU**s will use.  Brand new builders do not always realize what they are getting into.  They agree to terms that give them few to no rights because they are either unaware of the potential problems down the line or unaware of how many rights they should have.  If something happens to cause them concern, they feel they have no rights to stand on because the administration has told them and had them agree to terms that were unfair to begin with.  How you can insure a new builder knows what rights they should have, I'm not really sure on.  But it is something that needs to be done.

Little side point:  Things like comprehensive newbie guide books, developing new classes/races/etc. in concept and purpose, but not coding them, should be considered too.  I would like to see all MU**s out there error on the side of giving credit for too many things instead of the reverse.  It does not hurt the game in anyway to show how many willing, dedicated, and creative staff have worked to make it a great place.

Sapphar