View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road
Re: Playing MU* from Work

Far be it from me to condone such behavior, but, here goes:

* A Java client would still need to send packets that will be visible to any local network administrator who bothers/happens to review the right logs. The same applies to in-browser Flash clients: they are actually run by your local workstation, just like a regular app.

* I'm pretty sure telnet traffic looks similar to IM/IRC chat, i. e. is pretty transparent. That said, I'm also pretty sure that most network admins nowadays who are looking for people out of line would be looking at traffic on browser-related ports (80, 8080) rather than telnet. But no guarantees.

* The best/easiest way to cover your tracks a bit is to VNC/RDP into a computer at home. That way, your inbound traffic at least will be safe (it would all be picture data). There's not much you can do about your outbound traffic though. Even if you enable encryption, a determined admin would still be able to see that you've typed 'kill ogre' (e. g. if they decide to log keystrokes) and would probably not confuse that with typing a legit memo unless you work in a toy-testing lab.

* Like with key-loggers, there's no real protection against random pop-ins by peers and superiors.

* The bottom line is that the longer you do that, the more likely it is that you'd be caught. In the long run, the chance of getting caught is 100%. The real question is would you be able to get away with it when you do? If the answer is no, then you know what (not) to do.
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote