View Single Post
Old 09-22-2002, 07:31 AM   #30
Tavish

Tavish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Tavish
As of this posting I'm willing to wager that the top 7 muds on the list are all in the top 15 or or so muds in existance as far as pbase is concerned. Seems to be pretty accurate in terms of size to me.  If you want to split hairs over the order then we can do that, but as a whole it reflects exactly what the system is set-up to do.

Players do make the desicion to vote or not.  If it really bothers the players of Achaea to vote that much then they can leave, if the players of DR are that upset that another mud is above them in the list they can vote and change it.  Why?  Because they have the population to do it, and because they have that choice.
This is exactly what I am getting at.  It's not cheating, NOWHERE in the terms of service is encouraging players to vote (no matter the means) against any rule.  I think charging to play in special events to be evil and misleading to players, so does that mean its wrong and cheating to do it?  Not at all.  I think paying for banners on mud sites is unfair for free muds who can't afford that type of advertising, should muds not be allowed to do it?  Of course not.   You give someone the oppurtunity for free advertising you have to expect some will take advantage of it more so than others.
The real issue is what the thread started out with, the misleading ads.  And from the looks of things the "voted #1 mud on earth" ad may just end up being true, no matter how much everyone despises it.