View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #324
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: In defense of all MUDs. Our genre's noteworthiness is being questioned.

It is funny you would say that in of all places. This thread started when someone bucking for admin rank tried to delete . The amount of support we received was ENORMOUS. Fellow MUD admins, respected industry veterans (Raph Koster, Dr. Richard Bartle, Brian Green), and tons of mud players who never played Threshold came to our defense.

The AFD page (Article For Deletion - the official way a page deletion is debated) for Threshold was, at the time, the largest AFD in the history of Wikipedia. The AFD was something like 95% in favor of keeping the Threshold page. The amount of support we received was massive.

There have been other examples of the same type of rallying together in this thread and other threads on the forum. Yes, there is far too much backbiting and pettiness in our community. It is a real shame. There are ancient grudges that people really should let go of that continue to cripple us. Mobile gaming is actually a great opportunity for MUDs to gain exposure, because the low bandwidth and small client footprints work really well on mobile devices.

I agree. We still have major problems in our community, but it is light years better now than it was even 4 or 5 years ago.

People do what they can to help the community depending on their skills and opportunities. Very few of us do as much as Lasher and Icculus running TMS and TMC, but its great that people do what they can.

Speaking for myself, a few years back I was doing some freelance writing as a hobby. I ended up becoming the Managing Editor of Gaming on a large web site (40 million monthly page views). I made an offer to the community to write about anyone's MUD: . If I recall, only 1 or 2 muds took me up on it, but I believe they were happy for the media coverage.

We have a very old community that is unfortunately weighed down by some negative history. But we are fighting through it and slowly but steadily improving. That's something positive to build on I think.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote