View Single Post
Old 01-21-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
Hajamin

Hajamin is on a distinguished road
The best would be taking some college courses, but if that's not possible here are a few suggestions.

1. Realize this isn't a simple thing, it's going to take time(a lot of it) and it's GOING to be stressful. If you can't handle stress, you might want to think twice about it.

2. There are a lot of different languages out there, C++ being one of the more complex ones. I'd suggest starting with something like VB(Visual Basic).

3. Find a good book, O'Rielly books are probably(not probably, they are) the best out there.

4. Read the book, and try to reproduce the examples they talk about. Most books will come with a CD that has the compilers and editors you will need.

5. Once you think you understand the stuff in the books, pick a simple project(a mud is not simple, but I'm sure you knew that) and work your way through it.

6. If you know anyone that codes, bug them when ever you have a question, if not I'm sure people here or on other forums will be more than willing to answer your questions.

7. If at first you don't succeed(and you won't), don't give up, keep trying.

It's going to take a lot of time, and the more you put into it, the faster you will learn. You will also want to learn the standards, the books should teach it, but you can also use google and search for "coding practices" or "coding standards" to find some good references on it.

Good luck.
Hajamin is offline   Reply With Quote