View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 09:55 AM   #12
Sapphar

Dynamic descriptions are great. I use them on the game I build on. Not on every description, but if I'm refering to an important element, I put the variable before it that will mention if it is wet (from the rain) snow covered, etc. And I include some for the amount of light, time of day, type of air (crisp, muggy, etc). Fun as a builder, and hopefully interesting as a player.

Another thing very briefly alluded to ealier in this thread is actualy not about room descriptions at all, but more RP tools. On the game I'm playing these days, various herbs necessary for weavers, making potions, and other things are only available or only easily findable during certain times of the year. You can only cut at a tree so much before there is nothing left to cut down. The emits in the outdoor rooms change, with passerbys shivering from the cold, having the sniffles. Day/night emits are very clear, with lamplighters in the morning, street sweepers during the day. This is all in addition to regular emits giving the time of day, the weather, etc. I love getting a blast of cold air (reminding me it's windy out) in the middle of rping outside and immediatly digging around in my satchels for my warmest cloak. The seasons are very alive, including seasonal holidays that are common knowledge and celebrated.

Sapphar