View Single Post
Old 04-10-2003, 10:18 PM   #14
karlan

karlan is on a distinguished road
Arrow

The first MUD I actually started playing was WotMUD, I had tried a few of the more generic (I say that as in not a specific world from a book/game/movie, not as in non unique) MUDs and was not impressed, on one I was pk'd within seconds of logging on, and the other was to easy, you didn't die, you just went unconcious and returned back to your start area, minus some xp. Since I am a fan of the WoT books, I could relate to the world better, and I found WotMUD had great detail in the world and plenty to explore (I am a EAK player btw - or EKA  A & K both same % - ) and kill, while there were some fairly safe areas for newbies, it was a hostile world, and I had to be careful when exploring, which I loved. I was murdered when I STUPIDLY lay down to sleep on the road north of Fal Dara (for those who do not know the world, it is right next to the blight, home of all things evil - yes this is a MAJOR oversimplification - and a newbie should be nowhere near it)

At first I felt resentment that someone had killed me in my sleep, then I reconsidered, "if I was a big nasty trolloc, and I found someone asleep what would I do?", well the answer was obvious so I went and made a trolloc character. I played around in the areas in the blight (which are hostile to everybody), then decided that as a newbie trolloc, it was my job to go south, try and find a way past al the cities, guards, and human players and hunt. Some people would consider me cruel for hunting newbies, but I was level 3, and I didn't attack anyone less than level 5, so it was fair...

Since then a few changes were made to "balance" the racial pk, which I felt were unbalancing - we usually won, at 1:2 odds, even though we were outnumbered - so I went looking for more. I found quite a few muds that had 'midgaard' by various names, those I avoided, then I thought "if I am not finding what I want as a player why not try and find somwhere wanting a builder", a friend of mine had just found a new WoT based mud, so I started as a player there, and then they asked for people as imms, so there I am now.

As to how I first found out about MUDs and figured I should try one. I busted a tutor at university playing one, when I went to him with a question about an assignment. I asked what he was doing, and the bright colours (well the bright red message saying his Broadsword OBLITERATES his opponent) really caught my eye. Result: I decided to try MUDding, and I lost marks on that section of my assignment as I forgot to actually ask the question, I left the room thinking I had resolved it *lol*

Jeez, bit of a long ramble, but I am procrastinating at work (I really cannot find this bug, but procrastinating is more accurate)
karlan is offline   Reply With Quote