Thread: SEX!
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 12:16 PM   #10
Chayesh

Chayesh is on a distinguished road
I think the main thing everyone is forgetting is that, while some of you all find it okay between consenting adults to RP sex, the majority of the players in your playerbase may not be adults. As an IMP, I and our staff have a responsibility to the entire playerbase to provide a game that caters to as many people as possible. Sex is a road, in my opinion, that doesn't need to be traveled down.

And BTW, again the text medium stole my sarcasm. For a while, that has been always the argument raised by those who do want RP sex is that it is hypocrisy to outlaw that but then have a game full of violence and mayhem and killing. The thing is this: First, if you advertise as a MUD that is R-rated or allows sex, fine. Just let people know what they are in for when they play there. We advertise as a medieval fantasy, player-killing MUD. People know what they are getting. Second, no state that I'm aware of has special laws protecting children from being exposed to violence (outside of actual criminal acts against them). It is, however, often the case that laws exist to protect children from online sexual predators. Another good reason to not have explicit sex on your MUD. Third, as I mentioned earlier, lots of the players are NOT adults. Only adults can consent legally to sex. Fourth, you invite behavior that can drag your MUD down, i.e. harassment, vulgarity, and other things that make playing your MUD unpleasant for the person on the receiving end of these unwanted advances.

Again, my responsibility in my position is to the entire playerbase; to provide fair gaming and fun for all of them. The sex stuff doesn't need to be there.
Chayesh is offline   Reply With Quote