View Single Post
Old 02-22-2004, 10:25 AM   #11
erdos

Economy... in RP...  um, wtf?  Why the heck would I want to spend hours tediously gaining gold when- since it's an RP mud- i can just go "emote summons a djinni and wishes for a billion coins"?

Economy is pointless anywhere BUT hack'n'slash. In good hack'n'slash you have several types of currency. gold, which is slowly filtered in as people kill mobs, etc, and slowly filters back out as they buy potions. Potions are the next type, these are only bought, seldom sold (some muds will let players brew their own and if the mud is big, someone might make a brew bot to sell cheaper than mobs), and are the lifeblood of the people trying to bring in the main type, which is raw goods, in the form of equipment/treasures only winnable by killing mobs. Raw goods are traded for other raw goods, or for gold; and slowly filter back out via deaths/damage/accidental sacrificing/etc.
As long as a mob is killable, its equipment will filter in much faster than it filters out, so a good mud will periodically and unpredictably make mobs harder or take an item away for good, making it suddenly achieve the status of an artifact which can never be reproduced, and THIS leads to some interesting economies if the mud exists for many rl years :-)

As for all you RPers, I hope the zippers catch in your fursuits and you die of heatstroke