View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
The Nick

The Nick is on a distinguished road
Re: How to Prevent IC info being shared OOC'ly

Ugh. It doesn't MATTER if people share information.

You WANT people doing that.

You WANT people talking about your game. You want people being EXCITED about your game. Your game shouldn't be like a Russian gulag where every aspect of your life is monitored and to even speak towards somebody not in your slave-unit results in punishment.

You WANT people talking about awesome things they know.

There's nothing wrong with talking about your hobby. This is actually a GOOD THING.

The way you prevent this from being a problem is to have 2 very simple goals with designing your game...

1) Make it so that players can have fun in ways that DO NOT REQUIRE screwing people over.

2) Don't make it so players have power/authority over random people to hurt them.

In RP-intensive games, you should be interacting with people in meaningful ways and discussing both IC and OOC matters to ensure your time is being well-spent in happy-fun-times. I don't want to RP with people for thirty hours just to discover that my character is now going to be tortured, imprisoned, raped, etc. and there's nothing I can do about it.

If this is possible, it needs to be EXPRESSLY INTENDED AS PART OF YOUR GAME DESIGN and something that players actually want (on both the victimizing and victim sides) or just not possible... or, at least, possible but something a person can just walk away from.

If you have a problem with people talking about your game, you're doing something wrong.
The Nick is offline   Reply With Quote