View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Welcome back to me!

Personally I consider them to be pretty much the same. Or as Raph Koster phrased it in his article , "...in many ways, there are far larger differences between certain kinds of text muds than there are between graphical and text-based games."

IMO the main difference between the two lies not in the server, but in the client. With the right client, an LPMud like yours could be played as a - some of your players could even be using such a client right now, and you wouldn't even know unless they told you! Likewise, games like WoW and EQ could be played as text-based muds if someone created an appropriate client for them.

Many modern mud clients support varying degrees of graphics (as well as sound), and the amount of support seems to be increasing, so I think it's inevitable that we're going to see greater use of graphics in muds. And there isn't really any way you can stop your players from seeing graphics, even if you wanted to, because the graphics are handled at the client end. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of your players already have energy bars, a mapper, and so on.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote