Thread: longer numbers?
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2003, 10:12 PM   #14
kaylus1

Pike is one of the faster "scripting"/interpreted languages. It is the brainchild of Fredrik Hübinette, after playing around on some LP muds a long while ago he decided to write his own dialect based on it and wrote a server (LPC4), it was still under the LP license agreement which meant that anything written for the dialect couldn't be used commercially. In 1994 Fredrik Hübinette started writing µLPC which grew and evolved into Pike.

Pike is a standalone scripting language with many similarities to LPC, with alot of builtin modules and some other features. It was a marked change from LPC though in that it doesn't have a server with it, just an interpreter. I had to write the server myself in Pike, which ended up working just as well. I learned alot about Pike that way.

It has all the data types: int, string, float, function, mapping, multiset, array, programming, object ( and all of the operators, as well as some neat ways to use them , operator overloading.. blah =) I gave the links.

Now to the point you like, the language can be compiled with bignum support to allow integers of arbitrary size. Exactly how big - I have not tested. Take this information from the unofficial FAQ

Hopefully that answers your question. To retreive Pike go to the and download the version you wish, I use 7.4.10 though it seems a new version is out. Another good thing about it, like most "scripting" languages is that it works on Win32, *nix, and various other environments with no changes. Which is great if you do most of your work from windows machines =) [Oddly, though, I still use Cygwin for my shell in windows.. heh]

Pike is more popular in europe, and hasn't taken hold in the U.S. like Python has. A few big projects, that I know of, have been made with Pike, most notably the Roxen Webserver.

If you are interested after taking a look at Pike, then just send me a message to and i'll be glad to talk with you about getting an alpha copy of my GenLPC and a small testlib, as well as whatever help you need =)

* Has a nice pro's and con's a few pages in.