View Single Post
Old 07-04-2003, 03:09 PM   #9
Tavish

Tavish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Tavish
This may be somewhat off-topic but the Alastair's post hit close enough to home to post.

This description of the system is strikingly similar to the "astral travel" that I created for my game.  Those with the ability are able to move into a plane that is randomly shifting yet has permenant locations where players are able to exit the plane to other real world locations.  At first it was just going to be used as a replacement for the portal-type standards and ended up adding another dimension (pun somewhat intended) to the game.
  The astral beings are able to lower themselves close to the physical plane and have minor interactions with the physical plane, in the same context that spirits are able to touch the physical plane.  Those with elevated senses, wether natural or mystical, can sense the astral beings and there are set attacks which can crossover.   The usefullness of the this so far has been limited to eavesdropping or minor pranks in the same mold that invisible characters like to pull off.  I have left quite a few limitations on the interactions but at some point I may decide to loosen them to see how out of control it can get.
  While in astral travel physical attacks against other astral beings have little relevance and the laws of magic are bent that alters the effects of the spells.  As I mentiioned the plane is in a constant shift, so being able to reach the astral plane does not automatically mean you will be able to find your way out, or find the link to the place you intended to go.  Astral guides have the ability to grasp the nature of the plane and have a much better chance of locating specific place.
Tavish is offline   Reply With Quote