View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 02:03 AM   #48
Japheth

Home MUD: Shadows of Isildur
Japheth is on a distinguished road
Re: Triggers, scripts, and bots

I really must agree with the_logos on this topic. But I would add that in many cases, the bot is its own reward. There are some of us out there that really like to tinker with things - I myself am a Civil Engineer in the real world, and I code for fun. When I'm playing a mud where it's appropriate, I -love- creating all the scripts, testing them, refining them. That's quite a lot of my fun.

The Iron Realms muds even require a certain level of "Botting" as such - in that their combat system is so complex that few (and there are a couple) are able to manually perform at peak capability without a script system behind them. But that was always fun - researching, creating, testing your system. There's even an in game economy for trading them - so people who do not want to put in the effort can acquire one in different ways. More recently, there are open source, publically available ones (I think even an official mud-endorsed and distributed one?) so that nobody even needs to expend any effort to get at least a basic one if they do not want.

Many of these systems are far more advanced than the majority of bots written for other games, yet they pull it off well in Iron Realms and it's certainly not something that detracts from the game in any way.

Quite frankly, most games content isn't all that enjoyable. Most of it is 95% similar to the next guy, with a different pair of clothes on. The kind of enjoyment I get out of MUDs is the kind that I and other players create, DESPITE the content rather than because of it. And I enjoy scripting. So I'd certainly not be robbing myself.
Japheth is offline   Reply With Quote