Thread: Sex & Violence
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 05:35 PM   #25
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Re: Sex & Violence

The funny thing is, that while Sweden and the other Nordic countries - (Denmark in particular) - practically invented nude or scantily clad women adverts, lately there has been a huge backlash, and that type of material in adverts almost inevitably raises an outcry. This has however got nothing to do with qualms about nudity and moral issues, it is all about feminism and what is 'politically correct' at the moment.

Now, I'm a woman too, so I'm somewhat torn here. I too get a bit offended by the exploitation of naive teenage girls, who don't realize what they are getting themselves into, when they expose everything they have in men's magazines or on the internet. But the ultra feminists are a bit like the fundamentalist lunatics of Christianity and Islam, they give the sane, balanced and legitimate parts of a movement bad karma and a twisted image.

Sure, there are some basic injustices in the fact the women generally get paid less for the same work than men, or that less than 10% of the top jobs or posts on the boards of big companies are occupied by women. But when almost all male politicians declare themselves as being 'feminists'. probably out of fear of being ripped apart by the harpies, things begin to look slightly ridiculous. And when things get driven to the extreme by fanatic demagogues, some of these apparent injustices get drowned by stupid statements like; 'All men are animals!' - (sure, but so are all women!) - or 'Swedish men are as bad as Talibans!' - (umm, so far I haven't noticed that wearing a burkha is a requirement in Sweden) - or even wild accusations about groups of pedophile males who allegedly habitually kidnap, abuse and ritually slaughter children in the forests of Norway and Sweden - (excuse me, but why aren't any of all these kids even reported missing then?)... then the feminist movement loses most of its credibility. To these extremist feminists, almost anything can be traced back to what they in some 'scientific' papers have labeled 'The gender-power-order' - (not sure what the correct translation of that term would be in English, if there even is one).

However, this is usually the reason why lately all ads that can be even remotely perceived as disparaging for women are jumped at ferociously in Sweden and other Nordic countries. Moral has very little to do with it.
Goes to show how complex the causes and effects usually are.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote