Thread: Oracle OCI
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 02:26 AM   #3
naubol

naubol is on a distinguished road
Multiple reasons, but mostly because Oracle seems to provide things that any MUD based on a database would want. e.g. feature rich application server for web-based database interactivity. Having looked over all of the different things Oracle has to offer, I have to come away with the feeling that in the end its a superior product. I could be wrong, and I'm certainly willing to hear why. I am not very knowledgable about DB issues. I'm just getting into it, actually.

Oracle is about to come out with a free copy of its server (limited in size I know, but still when a mud gets that big, it has ways of funding itself in order to upgrade). So why choose MySQL because its 'free'? It might not have a 4gig data limitation, but it has other limitations, comparitively. I'm not saying its a bad server, I've worked with it before...

Also, from a developer's perspective, MySQL seems to be blocking and OCCI doesn't. I'd rather not have to try to manage multi-threading on top of everything else, if I could.

Thoughts?
naubol is offline   Reply With Quote