Thread: MUD Addiction
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2006, 06:34 AM   #26
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Most physical addictions also become psychological addictions in part, and I've never heard that "addiction" to a MU* is any worse than a chemical addiction. Are there specific studies to which you can point us?

While it's true that you can use other chemicals to combat a chemical/physical addiction (which I guess you could consider an easier method), a lot of those methods involve a lot of physical pain as well as mental anguish. Personally, even if considered myself addicted to a game and played too much, breaking out of the "addiction" would probably not involve a whole lot of physical pain other than the carpal tunnel I might have gotten from being on the computer too much.

Ultimately, though, I guess that "fun" could be considered "addicting". The games that I tend to play a lot are usually fun for me, and those can keep me online hours at a time. Who exactly gets to determine, though, if I'm just having fun or if I'm addicted? I definitely hope that it's not the people running the game. Their only job is to make the game more fun for me!
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote