View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
lotusofro

lotusofro is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The PG13 Dilemma

I don't think your legal team disagrees with my interpretation. I think the scenario you just posted would pretty much cancel the CDA's umbrella protection. However, the OP didn't say "I'm a pervert who will be breaking the law and need protection." The OP said "I want to make sure I'm not liable for any pervert who may login." If all you are doing is publishing a MUD and not promoting bad behavior (and lets be honest who really would) you are safe. A simple motion of dismissal and it's tossed.

This is only because the CDA likely wasn't meant to protect copyright infringement. However, it was meant to protect people exactly from what the OP asked about.

Like you I went to someone about this topic not too far back. The person I went to was a US District Court Judge. The CDA DOES protect muds from user behavior as long as you're being a responsible administrator.

You and others have pointed out how the OP can be a responsible administrator.

Plus we all know they'd sue you first Matt! The fact that you've never had that trouble I think speaks loudly. Generally those with money are sued vs those without.
lotusofro is offline   Reply With Quote