View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #56
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Looking for an RPI, where the 'I' stands for "Immersive"

I cited the very wording you chose to cite in your response. "Exist" and "are being built" can suggest two completely different types of games, ie. operational, which I listed, and in development, which I listed. Otherwise, all that's needed is "exist" as that would encompass open and not open. In the context of Delerak's statement, he was referring to your erroneous claim that the term RPI was a device used by Armageddon alone.

He stated that there were over two dozen examples of RPIs and this was not merely Armageddon. Additionally, as I've pointed out, there is no clear evidence who coined the term but its use originally applied to three MUDs and was eventually used by many. In fact, the term has been used by games which are not at all like Armageddon, Harshlands, or Forever's End. Hell, I once checked out a MUD that called itself "RPI" only to find it was a stock CircleMUD complete with the stock mobs wandering the street! But that's not a MUD that I or Delerak would be referring to. The list of MUDs I gave would be, some open for play and some "are being built" and some have a very large playerbase (Armageddon and Shadows of Isildur are routinely in the TMS Top 20).

So I would say you don't like sticking by facts. No offense, but I haven't seen much in the way of facts from you, just a lot of accusations of "personal preference" and a lack of understanding regarding the historical context of the term RPI.

And yes, all of these games are following the requirements of the list. I've played every one of the games that was open now or in the past except Dark Sun which I have yet to try (because as far as I know still, it's not open for public play, just testing). I've also had the opportunity to look over and talk with the creator(s) of several other never-opened games. If any of the RPIs on this list weren't adhering to the features noted, I'd have included a couple games which come very close but don't meet all the similarities shared by Arm, HL, and FEM. There is at least one which comes very close but has made a few choices regarding features which would be contrary to the shared features of that list.

You seem to be arguing about a subject that you have little or no knowledge of. How many RPIs have you played? Have you EVER played any of them? Prior to this discussion did you ever invest any time in researching the subject matter you are disputing? Prior to me naming the above list, how many of them had you even heard of? Prior to me naming the original three were you even aware of the original three? Could you name them? Without looking, can you name them now?

Jason

Last edited by prof1515 : 03-15-2008 at 03:08 PM.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote