Thread: Sockets
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2004, 08:14 PM   #5
Khadgar

Khadgar is on a distinguished road
was really useful as Darrik mentioned.  I must admit I was a little turned off at the thought of coding sockets at first, but it isn't as hard as I thought it would be.  I suppose the disadvantage with using the select() function would be it takes longer than multithreaded applications because it processes one request at a time.  Nevertheless, i think it will work quite well on an efficient server.

Thanks to those who responded with my first set of questions.  However, I have a few more questions regarding networking:

1)  Is there a way to determine a client's screen width and height?  If so, how would I go by doing this?  

2) Is there a way to get and set a client's console cursor position?  I'd like to have the automapper and room description side by side without recoding them.  

3) How would you go by coloring characters over a network?  

4) How do you prevent certain players from logging onto your server?  How exactly do you ban them?  Hostname? IP address?

I know how to do 1-3 with my own computer, but when it comes to networking, I don't know what functions to use.  Any good references or code examples will be greatly appreciated.  Once again, thanks in advance to those who help.
Khadgar is offline   Reply With Quote