View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
My personal preference? It should die when it gets killed, or when it gets old. Whichever comes first. I used to enjoy the "resurrection" type of game, but that was when I played on a pay-to-play and invested time -and- money into my character. I felt that the more I paid (with a monthly fee) the more I invested, and the less I was willing to see my character cease to exist. Eventually I got burned out on the entire "RP enforced, but toss all sense of realism in the trash" idea, and quit the game entirely. I went to another game where you could reroll to a new character, keeping a percentage of your original character's training points.

That seemed like a much more reasonable thing and I felt less pressure to keep a character I might not enjoy anymore.

THEN I went to a free RPI where death was permanent. I abhored the notion because it wasn't what I was used to. No one likes change, if it means leaving your comfort zone. My first character's death was so traumatic I actually cried while staring at my computer monitor.

Since then, I've become spoiled. If my character can't truly die, if I can do something to keep my character existing after death, then I'm not interested in the game. I can't imagine playing a game that doesn't have permanent death anymore. There's no rush, no thrill, if you go out hunting bad monsters, only to die, rezz, and an hour later be back out hunting again. That seems pointless.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote