View Single Post
Old 04-27-2002, 01:04 AM   #5
Steiner

Steiner is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Steiner
Cool

The main issue I am trying to address in this topic is the fact I don't think it's right they recruit in schools and show commercials on TV that appeal to people of my age.

It's one thing to recruit people that are able-bodied, intellegent, and dedicated. People that want to serve their country and of course get compensation, or support their families. It's completely different when you target an audience that is attracted by the Disney Land glory of what they portray as war, and the many benefits they can get, rather than what the situation is really going to be and what they really need to be in the armed forces for.

"Getting Out" isn't always the easiest thing to do in the military when you're bound by contract, and even if you do, you've lost valuble time in your life. Do you really want someone that wants to leave the armed services watching your back?

Did your training sessions involve body parts flying through the air as you are hit by several explosions? Did you sit in the middle of the ocean for a week awaiting rescue? Do they deal with death at all besides "here is a body bag, he was a good man.?"
Nothing can prepare you for what will be out there. Someone who wanted to be a technical engineer IS going to get a rude awakening when he's no longer fixing radar on the boat, but fighting for his life. Then the bonuses, the pep talks, the benefits.. they all don't matter. He's then going to realize this wasn't for him, his life isn't worth that stuff. He's going to panic.. most people would. But take the person they SHOULD have recruited, who wasn't quite as smart... but wanted to be in the navy to be a someone, and to serve his country. During these times he's going to remember his committment to the service, not to the benefits or the name, but to his country.
Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote