View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 03:41 PM   #28
Spazmatic

Spazmatic is on a distinguished road
Okay, let me recap here...

As I see it, there are four main threads of discusison under this topic.

1) Similar systems elsewhere (ala Spelljammer, Elite, etc).
2) Repetition of the "ae" prefix.
3) Maps.
4) Source of inspiration.

The first was certainly not bashing anything - in fact, I think, when most people see "aether" or "ether" ships in fantasy, they think Spelljammer. Either way, it was an interesting romp through history.

The second was phrased kind of... condenscendingly, but he does have a point - check his automobile example for a reasonable comparison. That said, at least some players do enjoy having "aetherships" with "aetherengines" and "aethersails", and said system has other positive aspects as well. In the end, a judgement call without a definitive answer, stated rather non-objectively, but it was really nothing so terrible.

The third point was generally positive, so, yeah.

The fourth point did imply that Lusternia's feature may or may not be original, and so forth, but it seemed pretty mild. It did not attack the feature itself, however, just its intellectual genesis, and it never really did so directly.

In the end, I don't see anywhere in here that someone actually bashed the feature. Nobody said, "Omgz0r, lame and stoopid!!!111"

Half the threads are either tangential or positive, and the remaining two consist of one individual stating a difference in position and a question with some iffy implications. Neither time did he discuss the feature itself, just its genesis and the way it is documented/marketed, and both are rather mild by any measure.

So, please, don't trash the forums, don't trash its denizens, and certainly don't masquerade behind a veil of civility. TMS has its sad times (many, in fact, most of which are derived from a handful of very touchy subjects), but this is not one of them.
Spazmatic is offline   Reply With Quote