View Single Post
Old 05-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #56
Bakha

Bakha is on a distinguished road
Re: Determining the Origin and Meaning of RPI

I get you. I was thinking about this earlier today while on a run (help me, please, I'm thinking of discussions on TMS during my day). The real problem here, in my opinion, is that the people in this discussion are approaching the issue from two different directions.

The RPI crowd (Jason, Delerak, Jazuela, etc...) don't really care that their acronym stands for "role play intensive" (well, maybe Delerak does, he doesn't really speak for the community, though). They care that their acronym stands for a specific type of game which, over time, has been assigned the label of RPI. In another thread, I posted a usenet post dating back to 1998 that shows this was the way, historically, RPI was used.

The other crowd, on the other hand, cares only about the meaning of the acronym, "Role Playing Intensive." They see this and think, "My game has roleplaying. My game is intense. I'm RPI." It's just people approaching the issue from two different sides of the fence.

Edit: In looking back at this post and considering what's been said on this and other threads already, I have to say that this was a "duh" post. Other people have articulated the same thing, but I guess I just needed to type it out for myself.

Last edited by Bakha : 05-05-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Bakha is offline   Reply With Quote