View Single Post
Old 03-13-2003, 11:24 AM   #16
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
The purpose of this thread wasn't to drown in stereotypes, but to figure out what personalities people like to play, and how similar they are to the personalities of the people who play them.

I do tend to play mages most of the time, mainly because I prefer the mechanics, and because on the mud I play mages have more opportunity to be social than fighters. But any of my char personalities could work equally well with fighters, if I happened to want to play one. I don't think a mage's personality should be different than a fighter's, just because one's a mage and one's a fighter, and that wasn't what I meant with this thread anyway.

When I create a char, I do at least enough of their history to explain how they got to where the game dumps out newbies, and develop it more as time and circumstance allows. Then I figure out how my char reacted to events in their history, and how it flavors their interactions in the world today.

For instance, my current char is an attempt to take the old orphan thing and make it fresh and nonstereotypical. Very few people actually know her history, but it flavors everything she does. She's not the pity-me orphan, she's more like the ask-me-and-I'll-blow-you-up orphan. She tends to go back and forth between trusting no one, and wanting so badly to find companionship that she'll do almost anything. Sometimes she's overly grim and pessimistic, sometimes she's bouncy and jokes around in order to hide her true feelings. She tends to baby her close friends and give them teaching and such, but she's extremely evil and ruthless to her enemies. It takes a long time for her to truly care about someone and trust them, and sometimes it never gets past the you're-an-idiot-and-you-suck-ass stage. She's pretty nosy, but she likes to have secrets and will faithfully keep others' secrets unless she believes it necessary to reveal them in order to keep someone she cares about from dying. And yet she condoned the death of her cousin (another PC), her last living and accessable family member, because of what he'd done.

So I don't think I get too much into stereotypes. In fact my chars tend to be complex to the point that different groups of people will see totally different aspects of their personality.
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote