View Single Post
Old 08-10-2003, 02:20 AM   #1
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
What I'm interested in knowing is the reason that many MUDs go through the trouble of creating an RP MUD, working out many of the details, writing nice room descriptions, and setting up an otherwise realistic atmosphere only to leave levels and experience in place? If the point is to create a realistic feel to a game, why leave obvious elements of the game mechanics in place?

Almost nothing ruins the feel of an RP MUD like seeing "level 2" or "2486 exp" or "108 hp". Those things are fine on a hack-and-slash, but those MUDs aren't about role-playing. They have more in common with Super Mario Brothers than role-playing. But an RP MUD isn't supposed to be about those things, it's supposed to be about creating a character personality and living it within the fictional world of the MUD. So why not make that world to the same standards as expected from those that play it: realistic.

I've tried out over 800 MUDs and have found only a handful (I believe I can easily count them on two hands, if not one) of MUDs that don't destroy the atmosphere they want to create by leaving such elements in. Needless to say, those are the MUDs I play. The others, well, I wouldn't recommend them to people I don't like much less my friends.

Just interested in seeing some perspectives on this.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote