View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
nass

nass is on a distinguished road
Re: Web site aesthetic issues

I wouldn't really say that the darkness of the outer edge is a problem because the text will presumably inside the inner "oldy worldy scroll" type area, and readable, which is the main thing that matters

I admit that I thought the same thing as Threshold when I saw the acronym, whether that matters to you or not I don't know but it might create an expectation that you don't want? It's also a pretty competitive "word" space - there are lots of wot muds around and you might find it hard to get a good ranking on Google, for example. Ie, try a . I should know

It's my experience having been there and done that that opening up new windows annoys users, I personally try to avoid it unless absolutely neccessary nowadays. In terms of other aesthetics, I think you could make the main content area wider. Yes, there's always universality to consider, but on the other hand if it means you can't get as much on there as you like, designing to the lowest possible denominator isn't always great either. You're probably also wasting a bit of pixel space - the area at the top is always the most valuable ("above the fold"). If you could add something to the "Wrath of Talos" text, maybe just a one liner summary like "The xyz MUD with notable thing ABC) it'll get a lot of eyeballs and do more for you than just the name.

Aesthetically it's fine, the oldy worldy look is generally a nice and appropriate 'look' to have for MUDs. Aardwolf has something , I've had a before too.
nass is offline   Reply With Quote