View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
ShadowsDawn

Home MUD: New Worlds: Ateraan
Home MUD: Threshold RPG
ShadowsDawn is on a distinguished road
Re: Determining the Origin and Meaning of RPI

Note: This post is intended to clarify the source of the AFS term and why I created it. It is not to be taken as a chance to derail this thread. The purpose was to help alleviate the chance that people would argue the appropriateness of AFS.. or lack thereof.. since the original post did have a lot of things saying why it was not applicable.

Okay, since I kinda started the whole AFS thing, I think I should speak up. That term was coined merely as an example. I have little experience with the type of MUD in question, so I took the one that I have heard about the most.

Here is an excerpt from a post at another site that talks about what I was intending, and my thoughts on the term RPI.

(Excerpt begin)
I also want to state that I have nothing against the RPI muds. The only real problem is that the moniker is misleading for those that aren't accustomed to them. I honestly think that the best solution for the whole RPI mud debacle is to accept that the MUD community has evolved to where there are more games out there that do require RP, and are pretty intense about it. Thus the RPI moniker will continue to be used by them. Instead of fighting over who can use it, and it's actual meaning (you guys have to admit that it is a bit confusing for those not in the know so to speak), I would suggest actually taking those central core features that are seen in most (if not all) of the games you consider to be 'true' RPIs, and simply codify that into Such&Such Feature Set.

Allow RPI to stand for the quality & level of RP for the game. Keep the RPI tag to denote your RP playstyle, but also have a tag of Armageddon Feature Set (yes I know you don't all want to reference Aramageddon) or something. I only used AFS in my post to Jaz on TMS as an example.. didn't intend for it to continue really, lol. Simply find a generic one.. maybe RFS for Realism Feature Set or something.
(Excerpt end)

As has been said by everyone on both sides, the term RPI has been confusing and misleading as the MUD culture has changed. New comers to the scene have taken the term at face value. The AFS (note only using this to denote exactly the type of game.. not the Armageddon game soley) style play is designed to create an intensive roleplaying environment, which we can all agree is wonderful. However, there are other games which can generate an intensive roleplaying environment, but yet have a different take on the presentation.

That is why I feel the term RPI has become such a confusing term for people, and a major sore spot it seems. This is why, in my excerpt, I suggested letting RPI stand for the level and quality of roleplay, but that the AFS (again used solely just to differentiate) style people get together and design a new moniker that is labeled upfront with it's shorthand initials as a Feature Set. This, in the end, will help eliminate the trouble we are having today and stands a better chance at not being misconstrued in the future since it will not be vague or at the very least less open to debate as to its' meaning.

Last edited by ShadowsDawn : 04-29-2008 at 03:28 PM.
ShadowsDawn is offline   Reply With Quote