View Single Post
Old 12-31-2004, 05:48 AM   #52
Felomar

Felomar is on a distinguished road
OK, you've got a post about how dense hack and slashers are, yet you don't actually attempt to define the difference that they don't understand.

Personally, it seems to me that the RPers don't understand the difference either, because nobody here can give a consistent definition that others agree with.

The fact of the matter is that there's no one accepted authority for these definitions, and therefore they're really rather open to personal opinion. I play on a MUSH that has coded systems for crafting, travel, and a combat system that mingles skill rolls with admin oversight. It has only three OOC channels: one for newbie helping, one for the distracting chatter that was piling up on the newbie channel, and one that was a reward to House Lomasa for winning a recent contest. It also has an operating OOC command for talking to others in a room. By various definitions given here so far, that might or might not make it a MUSH, an RPI MUD, or an RP Enforced MUD.

Personally, I suggest the best solution is just to list the features you want when looking for a game.

Is the presence of OOC channels a negative for you?
Do you want a combat system that resolves combat without requiring any admin oversight?
Do you want to be killing people frequently, and should they stay dead when killed?
Felomar is offline   Reply With Quote