View Single Post
Old 05-26-2003, 07:08 AM   #9
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Well I can't speak for your mud, but most of us are trying to create games, not glorified talkers.  Within a gaming context, most things can be simulated - that includes single combat, large scale battles, questing and exploration, building, purchasing and running shops, gathering resources, manufacturing items, and so on.  Even from a conversational point of view, it is possible to create a mob that can pass simple scrutiny - and as I've said before, in most cases that is sufficient.

It all depends on how you design your mud and what your objectives are.  If you're trying to create a game in which every action is roleplayed out through emotes, then obviously it's going to be very difficult to create any sort of mob.  On the other hand, if you're trying to create a game which is heavily automated, then you should be able to create a fairly reasonable simulation of a player.  One possible scenario might be a race-wars game in which the two opposing races cannot understand each others language - in such a scenario you could make it extremely difficult to distinguish enemy mobs from enemy players.

Simply stating that it cannot work without even finding out what the original poster is trying to achieve is very shortsighted, and hardly the sort of response I'd expect from the lead designer of a successful mud.  Do you think you'd be where you are now if you'd listened to that sort of advice from other people when creating Achaea?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote