View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 10:18 PM   #7
Bethaene

Bethaene is on a distinguished road
As far as PKing is concerned, I admit that it does add a certain degree to any type of MUD, no matter the engine it runs off of or the code base.

However, there should be a set limitation or reprimands/consequences for PKing. The best I've found exists on Lusternia.com, with the Revenge system. Recently, I've been experimenting with , a down product (bought from the creator) of the original RAPTURE system created by Avalon-rpg.com. Their PK system, like any of the RAPTURE systems (no matter how modified) isn't simply hack and slash like many modern and old-school based engines and systems (DiKu, Monkey, DoT, WoW, LoE).

Unfortunately, I ran into an incident today where the Administration go about PKing players without any IC purpose, which is extremely bad for any commercial or non commercial MUD of any sorts, especially if they lack a dedicated player base (because as we all know, its the players that make the game). If you kill your players without good cause (don't give me the rubbish of "we're gods. we can do as we like"), you're going to lose your player base and possibly dedicated clientelle.

There are three major rules when it comes to building a good commercial MUD or non-commercial MUD.

1. Continued expansion on abilities and areas.
2. Dedicated faculty.
3. Keeping the masses of current and future clients happy and appeased. (That means listening to their complaints, which will always out weight the praise).

PK is a good quality to add to a game, but with anything good, too much can be a bad thing. Example would be the WoT muds.
Bethaene is offline   Reply With Quote